PRACTICE LEADING A MINDFUL MINUTE
(Get a student to lead it too!)
1. Student or teacher: Please find your mindful posture ("Spine" or "body").
2. “Please allow your eyes to close, or gently focus your eyes on a point in front of you, or put one hand over your eyes.”
3. “Please bring your hand mindfully to your belly.”
4. “Please take 3 slow mindful breaths…"(ring the bell)
(Have lead student return to their seat. Allow group to sit for 1 minute, working up to 3 to 10 minutes).
5. “When you are ready, and without fidgeting, calmly open your eyes. Bring this new awareness into your next moment.”
Options for guiding students through a Mindful Minute of "FOCUS TIME" (meditation):
· Belly Breathe, Say “Belly”, breathe in to your belly, then out saying “Breathe”
· 7/11 breathing: breath in for 7 counts, exhale for 11 counts. Or 4 in, 4 out.
· When breathing in think “Breathe”, Breathe out think“1”. Up to 10. Repeat.
· Counting to 10. Breathe in ONE, exhale TWO, Inhale THREE, Exhale FOUR, and so on until TEN. Notice the pause between the inhale and exhale. Repeat. Advanced: Start again if you have a thought before TEN.
· Body Scan, from head to toe, noticing the pulse in the neck, the beat of the heart. Option: Slow version of “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes.
· When the mind begins to daydream or the body wanders just remind the student to come back to the breath by saying: “This breath, this moment.”
· “With this breath (breathe in), my mind grows stronger.” (breathe out)
· A great focusing tool is to send Heartfulness to yourselves or others: “May I be happy, May I be healthy, May I be free of worry.”
20 MINDFUL BREATHING OPTIONS*
(SCROLL DOWN TO PURCHASE 50 BREATHING CARDS!) *Consider trying these when going to or from recess, lunch, or before or on a field trip etc.
1. TAKE FIVE (STARFISH) Breathing: Hold you hand up like a Star Fish. With your other hand use your pointer finger to trace your hand with a finger, with each up or down movement, inhale or exhale.
2. Ocean Breathing: With flat and firm hands, flattened each ear with a hand and breathe deeply.
3. Elephant Breathing: Hold your hands in your lap, with your thumbs resting next to each other. With each inhale raise your thumbs up, with your exhale bring them back down to rest. Option: Sitting or standing with each inhale, raise your arms to the sky, on the exhale back down to your lap. Or hold a hand of classmates, and thumb breathe together as you walk in a circle or down the hall.
4. Spiderman Breathing: Sit crisscross on the floor (but can also be done walking). Place palms skyward on your knees. Bring your ring and middle finger in so that they are touch your palms. With each breath open your hands, with each exhale, bring in your ring and middle finger.
5. Quiet Coyote Breathing: Hold up your hand in the air like a quiet coyote. With each belly breath, slowly drop your thumb to create the look of a breathing coyote. Exhale. Repeat.
6. Butterfly Breathing: Clasp your hands together like you are begging, trying to also get your forearms and elbows to touch. Squeeze your hands and arms together, and breathe out. On the inhale, keeping hands clasped & slightly under chin, lift your elbows a bit above your shoulders. On the exhale, bring your elbows down so they touch again. Repeat.
7. Shark Fin Breathing: In a seated position, place your hand in front of your face like a Shark fin. As you lower your hand to your heart say to yourself: “Sit Straight, Sit Still, Sit Silently, Shut Eyes, Softly Breathe.” “I have the power to make wise decisions.” Repeat.
8. Smell a Rose, Blow Out a Candle (AKA) Suck on a straw in your favorite milk shake & blow out birthday candles (your five fingers). Repeat.
9. Blowfish Breathing: Cup your mouth with your hands, like a mask. With each inhale open your hands like gills. Repeat.
10. Balloon Breathing: Use the Hoberman Sphere (Breathing Ball) to fill up our bellies. Or just put your fingertips together and create your own breathing ball. Breathe 3 times alone, then with a neighbor.
11. Elevator Breathing (Breathing Buddies): Laying down, have kids see how big they can make their bellies, with each breath. For more fun, place a breathing buddy (a stuffed animal) on their bellies to see how high they can get their buddy to go up. Limit the number of floors to 3, 4 or 5 dependent on age.
12. Rocket Breathing: Press hands flat together (the capsule), in front of heart placing elbows (the engines) on the floor. Breath in, and as you inhale the rocket takes off (up the center of your body until arms are up above your head, exhale back down so that the elbows land back on the earth. Repeat.
13. Firecracker Breathing: Press hands flat together in front of heart (the fireworks). Breath in, and as you inhale the rocket takes off (up center of your body until arms are up above your head. CLAP. Then exhale out, with your fingers sparkling downward to be the exploding fireworks. Repeat.
14. Crocodile Breathing: Arms out straight, hands together (right arm above left), breathe-in big and deep while raising right arm, exhale all at once, close crocodile's mouth.
15. Beach Ball Breathing: big breath while opening arms wide (like holding a beach ball in front of you) and then overhead they come together, slowly - as if against resistance- push (hands rest on top of each other) as if pushing a beach ball underwater, while exhaling.
16. Flower Breathing: Begin in child's pose, inhaling and rising up onto the knees extending arms and face up to the sky like a flower opening up in the sun, exhaling reversing back into child's pose arms by side (curling up like a flower in the evening time).
17. Buzzing (Bumble) Bee Breathing: Buzzing on the out breath (Bzzzzzzz….), sucking in honey on the in breath. Repeat. A fantastic way to bring the energy of a class down.
18. Dragon Breathing: Breathe in while making dinosaur hands, exhale fire out, bring hands down.
19. Water Faucet Breathing: Put your arms outstretched, sides of fists touching. Squeeze hands tight and breathe in- exhale and release fingers, sprinkling water down making a shhhhh sound).
20. 4-7-8 Breathing: breath in for 4, hold for 7, breathe out for 8. Repeat.
WANT MORE OPTIONS? CONSIDER PURCHASING A PACKET OF 50 BREATHING CARDS...
MINDFUL BREATHING CARDS
(see photos below)
"My teachers LOVE these cards! You have an amazing product!" -Carol Martson, The Wesley School, North Hollywood CA
"Every time I use these in my classrooms and workshops people want to know where they can buy them!"- Madelaine W. Australia
Your very own breathing cards can be yours! If you have ever wondered how to incorporate mindfulness into your school day without the help of a Mindfulness Instructor, look no further. When you purchase your very own Mindful Breathing Cards, you will receive a pack of 50 beautiful cards. On one side are stunning images, and on the other, easy to follow directions for breathing options like: Dolphin, Flower, Elephant, and Spiderman breathing, just to name a few!
HOW TO ORDER:
For shipping outside of USA add $10.00 for Canada and $15.00 for other countries.
Reminder: In "NOTES" note that you want cards, and BE SURE TO PUT YOUR MAILING ADDRESS.
OR just send a $15.00 check, payable to "Andrew Nance", along with your return mailing address and we will mail you your cards ASAP!
WHERE TO MAIL:
4179 20th Street San Francisco, CA 94114